Saturday, February 21, 2015

Project Runway: Unconventional Library Materials

Our library's potential participation in Los Angeles' Gay Pride Parade inspired me to imagine how we could celebrate libraries within the context of a rocking, flamboyant parade loaded with pageantry and humor.

Maybe I was in the midst of watching a Project Runway season at that moment but I thought what better way to embrace libraries than melding them with one of today's most iconic television shows that has a huge gay following and its signature Unconventional Challenge that makes an appearance every season challenging contestants to utilize on materials found in a hardware store or a candy store or construction sites for the components to design their creations with.

Only in this case I could be using ALL THOSE BOOK DONATIONS that never make it onto the shelves or don't sell at the book sales!

Sometimes my revelations are really only revelations to me. This may be one of those times. At first, the thought inspired me to troll Pinterest for examples of book page fashion. And what did I find!

Here are some of my favorites:





Between now and June I've made it my goal to start small and create simple, fun wearable creations using book materials from our big mountain of donations.

Unconventionally Library Challenge #1: Art Book Top Hat







No comments:

Post a Comment