Tuesday, December 9, 2014

A Book Review Starring "Destroy All Cars" by Blake Nelson

The short version:
James Hoff, a Portland (OR) high school junior, uses diary entries mixed with English Composition essays to expound upon why cars are bad for the earth, but his writing also reveals the contemplations of a boy beginning to question his place in the world.

The long version:
I should start by saying I love Nelson's writing. His acerbic wit. His keen sense of observation and ability to articulate it in an entertaining fashion. His affable male protagonists. His ability to write high school and its inhabitants in ways that are revealing and empathetic and entertaining. He's become one of my go-to authors for when I fear I might be approaching a reading rut that needs avoiding.

This is my fourth Nelson book and it was the least satisfying. Perhaps it was because James spends so much of the book railing against so many things and people, which I'll be the first to admit is a common adolescent trait, especially at the dawn of those teenage years when one first comes into their own self-awareness and/or insecurities in comparison to others. But reading consistent railing got a little old.

The story lacked focus. I found myself thinking "I know what the plot is supposed to be I think" or "there it is in the title." And I knew I was supposed to draw a parallel or connection between James' grappling with his understanding of a larger world or planet (though it was less grappling and more consistent railing) with the things that are going on in his suburban teen existence. Only I couldn't seem to do that. I suppose they shared a common sense of futility, knowing cars are destroying the planet and being a teen who's not cool or awesome or totally together who still has to manage to get through high school.

Not only did it lack focus, but it didn't seem to have a thoroughly advancing plot either. I know it's Nelson's story and not what I wish his story were, but I would have appreciated it more had James come to some conclusions about his relationships with Sadie and his Dad. Some personal revelations at the conclusion of the story (on a small and believable level as opposed to capital R revelations) would have made all the railing more palatable.

Nelson's a great writer. I love him. It's his writing that made me continue with the book even though I didn't love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment